Saturday, December 14, 2013

I love Jennifer Lawrence, Like Crazy.


source
Jennifer Lawrence has somehow managed to become one of my favorite actresses, very quickly.  Her personality reminds me of myself.  Bubbly.  Random.  Awesome.   The other day, I saw something on Facebook that claimed "Jennifer Lawrence is secretly one of use who made it!"  While she seems to love her career, she doesn't take herself or her job too seriously.  She understands what's important in life and doesn't let anything get in the way of that.  Did I mention she's completely hilarious?

The love started with The Hunger Games. Then, I watched Silver Linings Playbook and fell even harder.  Catching Fire kept it going.  I ended up watching all of the interviews she has done with Letterman, Conan, red carpet press, and everyone else that I could find on YouTube. 

Then, I decided I wanted to watch other things that she's been in.  I went on IMDb to find other movies that she's been in and noticed she was in Like Crazy, and it's on Netflix!
source
I REALLY wanted to enjoy the movie, but it was absolutely horrible.

Like Crazy is about a British college student, Anna, who falls for an American student, Jacob, only to be separated from him when she's banned from the U.S. after overstaying her visa.

The story idea itself sounds pretty promising.  I've been in a few long distance relationships, but never one that was outside of the U.S, so I thought it would be interesting to see how they played out the international thing.

I was not impressed.   Everything felt so jumpy.  First they were at school together.  Then she has to go back to England.  Then he visits her a few times.  They break up a few times.

There was no character development, whatsoever.  The story never moved anywhere. Sure, we learn that Anna is a writer and Jacob designs furniture.  SO WHAT?
source
 For example, I want to understand how Anna felt when she wasn't allowed back into the U.S. after violating her visa and how it affected her life.  Not "OH!  I have a flat and a great job at a  magazine!  BTW.  I miss you.  Fly here and visit me because I'm crying all of a sudden."

Why didn't somebody read this script and throw it in the trash?  It was obviously complete rubbish.  It's like the writers tried to be deep, but couldn't get out of the kiddie pool. 

I guess the morals of this rant are:
1.  Details are a good thing.
2.  Its never a good idea to get back together with an ex.
3.  Jennifer Lawrence is still awesome, even if she is in a horrid movie.

No comments: