Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Movie Review: Snow White and the Huntsman

source
★ ★☆☆☆ 2/5

Director
Rupert Sanders

Main Cast 
Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth

Rated
PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, and brief sensuality

Released 
June 1, 2012


             SPOILERALERT!

Storyline

Based off the Snow White fairy tale, this version offers a grim twist.  Snow White, the late king's daughter must escape her imprisonment just as the Magic Mirror declares her the fairest in the kingdom.  The Queen is then forced to send her men along with a local Huntsman to bring her back.

First Impressions

I love fairy tales and spin offs of fairy tales and that sort, but I wasn't planning on seeing this movie in theaters for the sole reason that Kristen Stewart was playing the role of Snow White. I'm not a fan of this Twilight star and I feel they could have chosen a much better candidate for the role. SHE DOESN'T SMILE! Anyways, because there were so many people at the theater for The Dark Knight Rises, the boyfriend and I decided to try out the new discount theater and we opted for this movie.  $2.50 tickets aren't bad compared to the usual $7+.

Aftermath

First off, the visuals were awesome.  The Dark Forest was beautifully...dark and mysterious.  Chris Hemsworth portrayed his role well, but other than that, the acting was terrible.  Basically, Kristen Stewart ruined this movie for me.  I couldn't identify with her character and she was utterly emotionless.  Every time I felt she should smile, she stood there with this grimace on her face like she was in pain or something. 

Bottomline

During the movie, I kept wishing the movie was over already. I wouldn't recommend going to see it and I remember very little. However, I am glad that it was slightly better than the grim version of Red Riding Hood.

**Images were found by searching "Snow White and the Huntsman" in Google Images

No comments: