Saturday, January 12, 2013

California Adventures: Baker Beach

Last weekend, my boyfriend and I went to a beach in San Francisco.  I had had the trip planned for a week and I kept checking the weather because if you know anything about San Francisco, it can get pretty cold.  All week it said that it was going to be about sixty degrees and sunny, which would have been kind of perfect.  Then, the morning we had planned to go, the weather said there was a chance of rain.  But that didn't stop us! We decided to go on our beach trip despite the icky weather.

Because it wasn't "beach weather," there was hardly anybody around! Pretty nice, if you ask me. Before actually going down to the sand, we decided to hike through the hills to the Golden Gate Bridge.  Why? I'm really not sure.  We just do things that way. 

In the hills, there were a few military batteries, which are basically forts that are equipped with weapons.  At the first battery, there was a cannon demonstration going on. We stayed for a while and even got to walk through the fort, where they had photos, bunks, and even their old fire extinguisher on display.

The rain didn't start until after we walked about a mile and a half and finally got to the Golden Gate Bridge, which meant we had to walk all the way back with rain coming down on us, drenching our clothes.  Did you know that you could walk across the bridge? The boyfriend didn't.  We walked across part of it, through the fog and rain.  It was so cold and he is afraid of heights, so we had to turn back.

I would definitely consider walking on the bridge to be a unique experience.  By taking this hike, I was able to cross off one of the places that I wanted to take my OWN picture of  and I got to be in a place that I feel personally connected to.  I guess you could say that the bridge feels like a piece of "home" to me. Also, I know it's not the most artistic bridge out there, but I just love the unique color choice.

Overall, I had a wonderful time. The boyfriend and I got to spend a beautiful day together with an awesome view of the vast ocean. Even though I CANNOT STAND walking in the rain, I didn't mind it so much that day.  Don't get me wrong, I love the rain.  It's just the whole getting wet part that I don't like. 

We were soaked and starving by the time we got back to the car.  It's a good thing we stopped by the grocery store before leaving and grabbed some bread, fruit and other snacks!

The whole adventure was definitely worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  The best part? Being with the man I love and making memories that will last a life time. I think that's what adventures are all about. :]

By the way! I LOVE SAN FRANCISCO.

No comments: