Friday, August 22, 2014

I SAID YES!

So much has happened since March 24th, my last post on this blog. I worked at a movie theater until about a week and a half ago.  I got a new job at a portrait studio.  I went to Ohio to visit my family.  I went to the beach, but not nearly enough times, if you ask me!

However, the most important thing that has happened to me since March 24th, was June 1st, when...I SAID YES!

It's a really long story, but I'll tell you about it anyways!

Ever since before the boyfriend FIANCÉ and I started dating, we knew we would eventually get married.  He didn't want to start a relationship with someone that he wasn't going to spend the rest of my life with and I had already waited a long time (like four months) for him to even agree to date me.  Yeah.  You heard that right, I made the first move!

So, we always knew we would get married someday, but the timing was never right. I'm still in school.  We never had the money.   Sometimes he would jokingly get down on one knee and ask me, but he never had a ring so I never really took it seriously.

Fast forward to when we went to visit my family in Ohio for my brother and sister's high school graduation. ZOOOOM.
My family was sitting around the backyard after we had gotten back from the racetrack.  I remember it being a really nice night.  I was taking pictures of my sister waving sparklers and we were putting smoke bombs in the fire pit to make the flames change colors.  The stars were shining above us like they do in the Ohio countryside and nothing could have been more perfect.

After a while, Daniel asked me to stand up, so without thinking, I did what he had asked.  He got down on one knee and opened a box.  At least, it sounded like a box.  It was too dark to really know for sure.

The next thing I know, I say "NO." and sit back down.  The box freaked me out.  He had asked me to marry him before, but he had never had a box with him before!   Add that to my tendency to be an introvert and what did you expect? We were inn front of my family!

So, obviously that upset him.  He sulked back into his chair.  My dad kind of chuckled and then he and my sister eventually when off to get Taco Bell.  My mom went inside the house so we could have some privacy.  When I finally got Daniel to talk to me, he was livid.  He couldn't believe that I had said no.  I couldn't blame him because I couldn't believe it myself.

He's the man of my dreams.  The man I can talk to about anything without feeling all awkward and shy and like he's going to judge me for what I think.  The man whose hugs are a little too tight, just the way I like them.  The man whose goodnight kisses linger on my lips the entire way home from his house.  How could I say no to the man who means the world to me?

When my dad came back home, Daniel and I end up inside, talking about why I said no.  I end up saying No two or three more times that night.  Even after putting on the most beautiful ring that I have ever seen.  The one that I picked out.  I wanted it so much and I never dreamed I would get it, but now that I had it, I couldn't accept it.

Keeping the ring made me feel like I would be accepting the proposal out of guilt rather that out of actual want.  I mean, I wanted it more than anything, but in the moment, I was confused and angry at myself.  I felt like I ruined the best night ever.
Eventually, he agrees to ask me again.   Another day.  Another place.  He wasn't happy about it at all though. 

Daniel would talk about it all the time, whenever we went anywhere with my family.  He would hope that we were going to somewhere "beautiful."  Then one day, he decided to take matters into his own hands and asked if we could go to Lake Erie.  We ended up at a lighthouse, which would have been perfect, but there was a portable bathroom right next to it and to make things worse, it was right next to someone's house.  Romantic buzzkill.

After that, we went to a set of waterfalls near Cleveland.  He asked me to take a walk with him, away from my family, which I agreed to.  I was taking pictures of the falls and he got down on one knee behind me, waiting for me to turn around.  That time, I SAID YES!

Our story isn't perfect, but it's perfect for us.  Do I wish I had said yes the first night?  Definitely, but I'm okay with our story not being "the way it should be."  Now, it's wedding planning time!

But first, let us take a selfie!

Follow Here! Bloglovin | Facebook | Twitter | 

1 comment:

Elyse said...

Congrats!

P.S. The girl always find a way to mess it up somehow! I was complaining the whole time about how tired and hot I was!