Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Movie Review: Les Miz!

★★★★☆  4/5

Director
Tom Hooper

Main Cast 
Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe and Anne Hathaway

Rated
PG-13 for suggestive and sexual material, violence and thematic elements

Released 
December 25, 2012


             SPOILERALERT!

Storyline

A prisoner is released and breaks parole to create a new life for himself while trying to avoid the inspector who makes it his mission to find the man he once let free.

First Impressions

I am not a fan of musicals, so I had no intentions in seeing this film, whatsoever.  My boyfriend wanted to see it though so I went with him. The cast looked intriguing and I'm a big fan of Anne Hathaway so I wasn't dreading it too much.


Aftermath

Seeing as this is an adaptation to a play and there have been a few movies before, I was pleased with what was presented.  It didn't feel like the film was a remake of anything, but instead held it's own place in the cinema world.  If someone wasn't aware that this movie had been a remake, it could be mistaken that it was the original.

I felt that all of the actors did a fantastic job and even though halfway through I got annoyed with every word being sung, they sang beautifully.  After I saw the movie, I was told that all of the songs was done while filming, so what you hear is the real deal.  No lip syncing in this movie! Which tells me that the cast chosen is very talented and I applaud them for how well they preformed. 

In addiction to the musical aspect, I felt each actor did a splendid job convincing me that they WERE the character they were trying to portray.   I nearly died when they cut off Anne Hathaway's hair! It was so beautiful and then it was just gone.  If it were my hair, I could not have done it, so I commend her for allowing that. And she still looks gorgeous!

Bottomline

I do not want to give away too much of the movie, because it really was fantastic once I got past the whole it being a musical thing.  Definitely go see it if you get the chance!


**Images from "Les Miserables" Google image search

No comments: