Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Blogtember: Royal Screw Ups


Everybody screws up sometime in their life, usually more than once and probably pretty often.  Most people learn from their mistakes and move on, but what about those royal screw ups that haunt you forever? 

Today, I'm going to tell you about the first time I remember royally screwing up.

Let me take you back to third grade, in Mrs. Laurenco's class.  Each week, there was an attendance helper who wrote down who was there and who was absent and then took the card too the office.  I'm sure everyone LOVED being the attendance helper, but that isn't really what I remember.

Mrs. Laurenco mentioned that one of the girls in my class was sick.  Being the attendance helper, I knew that wasn't the truth and I knew why she really wasn't in school.  Instinctively, I blurted out "She isn't sick! She has lice!"

I don't think I realized what lice was then, but a second later, I knew that I had said the wrong thing.  Everyone glared at me and my teacher said something along the lines of "I trusted you!"

Then, when we went to recess, my friends didn't want to play with me because I had told the girl's secret to the whole class.

I didn't mean to! I didn't realize it had been a secret.  If I could take it back, I would.

Nothing could ever top how humiliated I was that day.

I still think about that moment every once in awhile, but on the bright side, I'm still friends with some of those people who didn't want to play with me that day.

Now, tell me about one of your mistakes so I don't feel so bad about this one!

No comments: