Tuesday, December 17, 2013

12 Days: When Did You Stop Believing?

I know of some people who tell their kids that there is no Santa right away.  Then there are those who tell them when they think the time is right.  My parents on the other hand chose to let me figure out things on my own.  I never had the awkward Santa talk, or the awkward sex talk for that matter.  I still don't understand how birds and bees have anything to do with sex, but that's off topic!

The point is, I don't remember when I stopped believing in Santa. Maybe it was when my mom started taking me Black Friday shopping and letting me pick out my gifts.   Or when I watched my dad eat one of the cookies we left near the tree.  Plus there's the fact that the wrapping paper was always the same on their gifts and Santa's.  You don't need to be a detective to figure out that the handwriting on the tags are all the same. 

"You don't believe in Santa anymore, do you?" My mom asked me one year. To which I replied, "No, I don't."  No explanation.  It just meant she got an extra pair of hands wrapping gifts after that. 

Whatever the reason, it just happened one day and kept on pretending for the sake of my brother and sister. Couldn't let those little tikes live their lives without the magic of Christmas!

While I don't think my parents took the best approach to letting us figure out things on our own, I do appreciate that I got to let go of Santa on my own.  I do not, however, appreciate that I had to understand periods and shaving on my own though.   And I still don't know how to do my hair and makeup correctly.  What's up with that!?

BY THE WAY! Those little tikes that I call siblings, they will be graduating high school in May! I wonder if they still believe in Santa Claus. 

When did you stop believing in Santa?

Follow Here! Bloglovin | Facebook | Twitter |  Pinterest 

No comments: